Helping you getting a strong and lasting horse
without having any breaks due to injuries
Hi, I am Heidi Nielsen and I am a veterinarian.
I will guide you in getting a better performance and well being for your horse.
This is done to help you be more successful in your training.
How I can help you
- I can help you get a more durable horse that is able to perform better during daily training. We can do this by starting a close teamwork, where you have access to me and my knowledge, and you work closely with me. It is almost like I am standing in the corner of your arena. I call this kind of teamwork: ”Mentor of the horse”. Because that´s what our teamwork brings us to be: A mentor of the horse.
- I can help and treat your horse if injuries or crookedness occur. The goal with my treatments is to give your horse full mobility of his whole body and also ensure that you are well prepared to do the rehabilitation on your own.
- I can inspire you to train your horse to get a better balance and strength no matter what your level is. In my book: ”ProPrio training” I give you the recipe to efficient physiotherapeutic training. Training that you can start and work on your own.
- I can teach you how to create a strong and durable horse that´s able to perform well for you when riding. When I do a presentation and workshop I start out using real and useful exercises and examples, so that you will return home with knowledge that you can implement yourself.
Why I work in such a holistic way
My great interest in doing holistic treatments is caused by several things
#1: Horse owners´ frustrations
When I worked as a regular veterinarian I often felt inadequate, especially when the animals did not function 100% after a medical treatment, or when they got sick or injured again and again. This causes frustrations for the horse owners.
#2: Treating the symptoms is not enough for me
In my opinion it is a great challenge to find the key to make the patient function optimally again, instead of just treating the symptoms, like ”regular veterinarians” often do.
#3: This is a great challenge
I have always had a prophylactic approach to treating animals and it means that I start researching the cause as soon as I meet a horse with problems. Together with the horse owner we start finding out what can be changed for this horse in order to prevent it from happening again.
I have worked with a lot of horses, both young horses getting started and older horses in further training to Prix St. George level. I emphasize that my horses are thriving both physically and mentally, also when they get older, even 20 years or more. They have to feel well when they are working and I would like them to respond to very light signals. When you feel that your horse is with you in this he will start a positive development. Heidi helps me keep my horses healthy and happy through her very competent treatments.
I have known Heidi Nielsen since she was a teenager and was taking lessons by me, and her approach to the horses has always been very good and calm. So to me it was self-evident to have Heidi treat my horses because she has the qualities that I do appreciate.
Helene Ilsoe Rasmussen
Here are some cool facts about me
I have the greatest and most inspiring life being a horse owner and a veterinarian, and I could never image anything else.
Every day brings me to work with those wonderful horses and horse owners.
This way I can outlive my dream where I take care of animals and take care that they feel good.
Here are some other facts about me and my daily life:
Every day I smile and say good morning to my animals
Animals have always made me smile and feel good inside. And I smile and say good morning to my animals every day.
I drive 45.000 kilometers a year
I work all over Denmark and I do spend lots of hours in the road and put together it amounts to more than 45.000 kilometers per year.
I buy more than 20 kilos of horse treats a year
I always have some treats in my pocket to avoid great frustrations in my work with your horse.
“I have for years been looking for a veterinarian who is able to fulfill all my demands and who is capable of doing all the treatments that I think are necessary in order to have healthy and strong riding horses.
Now that I have met Heidi, I have no doubt that she is the veterinarian that I want to use for all my horses. It goes for all the different kinds of treatments that Heidi offers. I am really happy that I have found a veterinarian who knows anatomy, biomechanics and learning theory and who is capable of putting it all together in one big holistic picture. Through her veterinary training Heidi finds the reason for the unbalance of your horse and she is able to treat the cause instead of the symptoms.
A big plus also is that Heidi always reserves a decent amount of time for each horse and takes the time to answer the horse owner´s many questions. I always give Heidi my warmest recommendations”.
Jeanette Glerup Sorensen, Stald kammerdal
How I got this far
- graduated as a veterinarian from the University of Copenhagen in January 2009.
- Worked in a clinical practice from 2009 until 2012
- Certified chiropractor for animals of the IVCA (International Veterinary Chiropractic Association) in 2010
- Started my own practice in May, 2012 as an equine dentist and chiropractor, working full time
- Writer, speaker and offer workshops
- Postural rehabilitation (Alexander techniques for horses, dogs and humans)
- Osteopathy (Functional indirect technique)
- Equine Touch (ET)